10I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.
-This is the first issue that Paul addresses in his letter. Just like today, people back then argued and divisions formed. Paul's goal, and God's goal, is perfect unity within the church. This is something we should earnestly be working for.
11My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas"; still another, "I follow Christ."
-An explanation of the problem. Like many problems we have in the church, if we step back and look at whats going on, it's usually trivial and kind of silly.
13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul?
-The main thing is that Christ is at the center and he should be the one lifted up. Not paul or anyone else. One of the reasons unity is important was because God is one.
14I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 16(Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
-Guess people were looking for some kind of bragging rights to be with one person or another. In the end its all silliness.
-We people are silly. We do all kinds of funny things and are proud of funny things. We can't let silly things divide us. Sometimes that means swallowing our pride. Others times it means putting aside our own interests. In the end its all for Christs glory. We're on display to the world and shold watch carefully what we do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment