Thursday, April 23, 2009

Wednesday, April 22- Romans 7:14-20

14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.
-This is neat because I would often think of the law as something that is physical to the world. But in fact, the law is a spiritual thing concerned more with the inside than the physical body.

15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
-The struggle for all men. This is so often the case where we are trapped by our sinful body/mind. "Why do I do it?" I often ask myself. What is the glory of sinfulness that I'm so attracted to it? I know whats right and wrong, but still I'm so drawn to sin. And even when I do it, just as Paul says, I hate it. Grrr what a strange battle that wages within my head.

16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good.
-By sinning, I confirm that the law is a good thing because it is doing its job. It is pointing out how sinful I am. Without the law I wouldn't know.

17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me.
-Stupid sin inside me. Why doesn't it just go away? It's such a battle and it is kind of annoying. Hehe, makes me feel silly to play in the mud while God is offering a holiday at the sea.

18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.
-Again, showing the rottenness of sin. What a sad testimony. We have the desire, but not the strength sometimes. Its nice to see this reality of sin in Paul as well. It makes me feel like even though I fail, I'm not alone in this battle against sin. It is a powerful adversary. Luckily we have grace though.

19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.
-This is such a backwards battle sometimes. This statement makes it seem like the battle is hopeless, but again, it is grace that wins in the end. This doesn't make sinning okay. It just means that the battle is tough and that is why we need grace so badly.

20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
-This makes it seem like sin is okay, but Paul is just describing the utter depravity of sin within the body. This is why we need a savior. This is why we live our lives as much as possible for the glory of God. It is because of our thankfulness to God who redeemed our utterly sinful souls that we live holy. God is our strength in this battle. He is the one who can allow us to overcome our slavery to sin. When God comes into our lives we are no longer slaves to sin, but to righteousness as stated in the passages before. We are free from this law of sin. What a relief that God loves us so.

No comments: