Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wednesday, April 15- Romans 6:19-23

-I realized today that it will be the last april 15, 2009 in the history of the world. Keeping that in consideration I have decided that I like pizza.

19I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness.
-Keeping to the idea of slavery, Paul continues. He's trying to talk very simply in ways that are easy to understand. Without a doubt I was in slavery to wickedness. This wickedness was increasing just as Paul describes. Bad stuff leads to more bad stuff. In the same way does my slavery to righteousness lead to increasing righteousness? Am I ever-increasing in holiness? If not I should strive for it. It's my duty as a slave. That sounds so horribly sad to illustrate it as such, but what a wonderful slavery to be the Lords who loves me so.

20When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness.
-The slavery to one or the other is very polarizing. It's one side or the other, never both. We have to realize that the middle ground is not really in the middle. We must establish that we are on one side or the other.

21What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death!
-When we think we're in a good place when we're in slavery to sin, we realize that there is no lasting benefit. All investment in this world are temporary. We can feed all the hungry, save all the trees, free all the slaves, and then at the end of the world it was all temporary. Good things, but without the aim of glorifying God it has no lasting benefit. The glory of God is the heart of all things. It is what makes our actions more valuable than any thing anyone else can do.

22But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
-Set free.
-Ponder that for awhile. We are free from sin. It doesn't have power over us.
-Stay in the arms of a loving God. Reap holiness in the relationship. Look forward to eternal life.

23For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
-Common verse with great weight. For slavery to sin is death, but slavery to an eternal god is eternal life. This life is only thru Christs sacrifice and work on the cross. We get this we get all of life. We miss this and we lose everything and all of life is lost.

1 comment:

Rachel D Kim said...

I can't wait till I'm free of sin. Can't even imagine what that would feel like.