Friday, March 13, 2009

Friday, March 13- Romans 1:8-17

8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world.
-Paul begins to get into his letter. First thoughts aside from the introduction is to be thankful. He's thankful for seeing their faith. I need to be more observant of people's faith and be openly thankful to God for it.
-Their faith was being reported. I think my faith is a bit to hidden.

9 God, whom I serve in my spirit in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10 in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God's will the way may be opened for me to come to you.
-He wants these people to realize how earnestly he remembers them in prayer. His prayers are constant not forgetting them.

11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong—
-Share his spiritual gifts? or maybe show examples of spiritual gifts so that they may see them being exercised and learn to do likewise. Regardless, one of the reasons to visit is to see the spirit working among the people.

12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith.
-The spiritual gift he's talking about is encouragement. How simple but important. Don't miss this in your relationships with people.

13 I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.
-Paul wants to visit, but has had a hard time making it. Life is difficult like that sometimes.

14 I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish.
-His heart is to preach the gospel. And this heart isn't biased to one group or another, but to all people.

15 That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome.
-Eagerness expresses his desire to preach.

16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.
-Paul realizes what the gospel is. He really see's the power of it. It's not just a story or a good thing, but it is the power of God and the salvation of people. It's hard to come really come to grips with this to the point that it really changes me and sparks constant action. This is something to be prayed about. To see the power of the gospel constantly and not be ashamed of it. It is an amazing thing not to be put in any low place.

17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."
-When we look at the gospel we see the righteousness of God, or at least we should see it. Do I see it? "Live by faith" Do day to day activities trusting in the gospel.
-I pray that I might really consider that every morning. That today I will live by faith. Finding my righteousness in Christ. Not being ashamed of the greatness of God.

No comments: