If I am what I eat. I'm definitely hotdogs and potato salad this week.
14Then John's disciples came and asked him, "How is it that we and the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?"
-This question seems to come from a source that is genuine in asking "why" this is. I don't think John's disciples would want to trap him in what he's saying.
-Question is about fasting and why the disciples don't do it.
-Fasting was a regular part of life for them. It seems like we are far from making this part of our life. Denying ourselves like this is an interesting way to connect with God. I wonder who the first one that thought of it was.
15Jesus answered, "How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast.
-There are times for celebration and there are times to fast. Fasting isn't associated with the times of celebration, but only with more difficult times.
-Fasting isn't something suggested that they might do when the bridegroom is taken, but it is something that they will do.
-It'd make sense that this is something we should be doing as well to some sort of regularity.
16"No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch will pull away from the garment, making the tear worse.
-Maybe this illustration is teaching that the action must fit the circumstance. If it does not, it just doesn't make sense. Why would you fast during a time of celebration? That would tear away from the good times.
17Neither do men pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved."
-hmm I feel that I need to look into this more.
-Instant application tho is fast. Do it regularly. Now is the time for it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment