Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tuesday, May 5- Romans 9:1-5

1I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit—
-Paul is affirming the words he is speaking as truth. His way of affirming truth is a bit interesting. He allows his conscience to approve it with the Holy Spirit. I've never written holy scripture so i guess I wouldn't know what that feels like, but i'm guessing it'd feel like a sure thing. But today we have the opportunity to test his truth in many different ways so its all good.

2I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart.
-why why why? why so much pain and sorrow? for who? for what?

3For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race,
-wow.
-seriously wow. thats a huge sacrifice to make for the sake of others. but this is the model attitude to truly win peoples hearts for Christ.

4the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises.
-Paul loves his people. He realizes the unique historical/Biblical position that they are in. They are unlike any other people group in the world as far as position before God.

5Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen.
-On one had it's amazing that we as gentiles are brought into this lineage. We have nothing to do with all this but somehow we are allowed to merge in and become son of God. God is a wacky fellow, but I like him.

-Realize, realize, realize the position that we are in. Who we really are. We are sons/daughters of God. Paul goes over this over and over again. We must know who we are. We must know how we got there. We must know our purpose because of it. We receive amazing love. We give amazing love.

No comments: