Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday, Romans 10:16-21

16But not all the Israelites accepted the good news. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our message?"
-Unbelief is unfortunate. Apparently it was prophesied.

17Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
-The message needs to be told. People don't just get saved. They must hear the word. That's why it's so important that we keep sharing.

18But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did:
"Their voice has gone out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world."
-Israel can't complain of ignorance of the matter. They heard Jesus' teaching loud and clear.

19Again I ask: Did Israel not understand? First, Moses says,
"I will make you envious by those who are not a nation;
I will make you angry by a nation that has no understanding." 20And Isaiah boldly says,
"I was found by those who did not seek me;
I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me."
-The Gentiles were chosen as a people to be those who receive the word. Even though historically they had been separate and far from God, now they would be chosen by God. Sad and shameful thing for Israel.

21But concerning Israel he says,
"All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and obstinate people."
-We could also end up like this. God extends his grace to us so much, but there are people that continue to rebel against him. Their fate is made clear through the lives of the Israelites. We shouldn't be foolish or arrogant to think that we are above them. We fall into this trap so often as well. We should learn obedience from their mistakes. We're lucky to be in the position that we're in. We should make the most of it and live faithfully in it.

No comments: