Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday, January 25-Matthew 8:14-17

Today I left my car lights on so when I went to start my car after church. No va. It was a sad moment. Luckily Jin came by with jumper cables. yay.

14 When Jesus came into Peter's house, he saw Peter's mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever.
-A bit more of a personal account since it has to do with Peter's family. Since it is a mother-in-law it assumes that Peter was married.

15 He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him.
-In this instance it was the hand that Jesus touched to heal. Her healing was immediate and complete. It doesn't say much about her faith in this instance.
-Her first action was to wait on him. When I think about Mary and Martha, I suppose she was a Martha and served.
-Jesus serves her, then she serves him.

16 When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick.
-Demon possessed were brought to Jesus. We don't think in terms of demon possession now. Everything is physical or mental illness now. I wonder how much of sickness is demon possession or something close.
-It didn't take much for Christ's authority to drive them out. Only a word.
-None needed to turn away cause Christ could heal all.
-Do we come to Christ believing that he can take care of all our problems. This doesn't mean he necessarily will, but he can.

17 This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah:
"He took up our infirmities
and bore our diseases.
-So much of Jesus' life has to do with prophecy. Proving who he is.
-Thru all of it we must bow down and recoginze who Christ realy was and not be fooled by any other lie.

No comments: